Foster Youth Services
What is Calaveras Foster Youth & Homeless Services?
We are a program funded by the California Department of Education to provide services to foster children and youth ages 4-21 who are living in group homes and foster family homes in Calaveras County.
A quality education is key to every child’s development, and it is especially important for children in foster care. Foster children as a group tend to function at a lower academic level than the general school-age population, are less likely to graduate from high school, exhibit more behavior problems, and have lower self-esteem. Advocacy and support services are essential so they can face these challenges successfully.
Our purpose is to increase school stability for foster children, and to improve their educational performance and personal achievement.
What Does FYS Do?
- Advocate for timely and appropriate school placements
- Assist students and foster care providers to access needed academic support services, including special education
- Recommend and make referrals to needed community support services
- Assist foster care providers to understand and navigate the school system
- Work with placing agencies to minimize changes in school placement
- Facilitate the transfer of school records for foster children
- Act as a liaison between care providers, schools and placing agencies
Education Rights for Foster and Homeless Children
In 2003 the State Legislature enacted AB490 “…to ensure that all pupils in foster care…have a meaningful opportunity to meet the challenging state pupil academic achievement standards to which all pupils are held.” This legislation established new duties and rights related to the education of dependents and wards in foster care, see the link on the left for more information.
The Federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Act was reauthorized in 2002 to include foster youth who are in temporary placement. It also requires a liaison in each school district for homeless students, and provides for similar education rights.
Foster Youth & Homeless Liaisons
Calaveras County Foster Youth Services Coordinating Program Manager
Foster Youth Services Coordinator
Calaveras Unified School District
Vallecito Unified School District
Bret Harte Union High School District
Mark Twain Union Elementary School District
State Foster Youth Coordinator
Lisa Guillen, Education Programs Consultant
State Homeless Coordinator